In the Home

Restoring a 94 Year Old Piano – How We Did It! Part Two

posted by Julie January 27, 2016 0 comments

This is a continuation of my previous post on our piano project. To read part 1, click here.

piano restorationBefore we even started stripping and sanding, we found out how to slide out the piano keys and clean the inside. Now, I’m sure most piano people won’t recommend this, but since our piano is so old and was so terribly dirty, I wasn’t going to wait for guidance. I couldn’t live with a piano in the house that smelled of smoke, not to mention the dust and dog hair inside of it.  After removing the entire keyboard (including the hammers), we vacuumed as much as we could. Everything that we could reach, was cleaned!

Throughout this process, I found a hidden serial number within the piano. With a serial number and a manufacturer, a person can get the age of the piano. When I looked it up, I realized our piano was made in 1922! So much history in one piece of furniture. We were amazed at its condition for being 94 years old.

After cleaning, it was time to work on the lid. When we realized that there was too much varnish on the wood to sand, we applied a paint and varnish stripper.  Pounds of varnish, tar, odor, and age was scraped off this lid. It was a tedious, time-consuming process, not to mention rather gross.  Once the lid was varnish-free, the entire top was sanded both by orbital sander and by hand.

Unfortunately, I have no photos of us working on the lid. That was because while my husband was working on the lid, I started cleaning the piano keys and parts of the inside that I could reach. Black soot covered my rag with every swipe. It was as if no one had ever cleaned this piano. The yellow piano keys whitened up a bit and lost their gritty feeling. Cleaning something this dirty was oddly very satisfying!

Once the lid was done being sanded, we moved to stripping the rest of the piano. We had to refurbish the rest of the piano too since the sides had drip marks that couldn’t be cleaned off with any cleansers.

piano restorationpiano restoration

Tarps were placed all over my living room as it became our work space. Then, just as we did with the lid, we stripped the varnish off the piano first.  It’s kind of hard to get an appreciation of how messy this job was, but take my word for it. Globs and globs of black goo came off with the stripper. It felt so good to get down to the bare wood.

piano restoration

Globs of goop came off with the putty knife when removing the varnish stripper. It was black, tarry, and incredibly sticky.

When the stripping was complete, it was time to sand. This is what the piano looked like after stripping it (below).  Much better! No caked on, crackly varnish and much lighter in color.

piano restoration  piano restoration

We opted to sand the sides and legs of the piano by hand in our living room. We used 3M ProGrade Precision sanding sheets because of their ability to last longer and not fall apart so easily. We started with 100 grit and finished with 220. When sanding was complete, we wiped down and vacuumed the sides to clean up the dust, then rubbed it down with paint thinner.

piano restoration

piano restoration

Overall, we were super pleased that this 94 year old instrument had wood that was in such good condition.  We wanted to stain it a darker color to cover up any imperfections in the grain.  When the wood was finished with stain and polyurethane, this was our finished project! So pretty!
piano restoration

Here’s the before/after photo:

piano restoration

All that was left at this point, was to clean the inside and try to polish the pedals and the feet. Sounds easy, but we actually left the hardest job for the end.

Stay tuned…

Happy Travels!

Julie

Pin It!

piano restoration

You may also like

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: